VISUALISATION SPECIALIST (San Francisco, US)
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill’s multifaceted practice includes: architecture, urban design and planning, structural and civil engineering, MEP/building services, interior design, environmental graphics, digital design, and sustainable design.
The Visualisation specialist provides leadership in the production of the highest quality design studies and design visualisations. As part of SOM’s digital design group, the visualisation specialist will also contribute to the firm’s ongoing effort to elevate the level of design through the aggressive use of data and design technology. A crucial component of this role in SOM’s San Francisco office will involve the integration of architectural and urban planning project studies and proposals into SOM’s leading edge 3D context model of the city of San Francisco.
Duties and responsibilities:
– produces or assists in the production of computer models and visualisations
– provides technical guidance both specific and strategic to project teams seeking the most sophisticated and appropriate methods for studying architectural design through advanced visualisation tools
– effectively shares specialised knowledge with team members and encourages others to explore and adopt new methods
– organises and conducts as required training and education seminars
– manages a dynamic workload to meet project schedules and deadlines
– coordinates specific firm-wide technologies, standards and guidelines with fellow digital design specialists and managers in the other offices on a consistent and regular basis
– identifies, evaluates, and where possible implements productivity gains possible through the use of customisation, scripting, and other automation technologies
– acts as a primary contact with software vendor support teams, where applicable
– participates in regularly scheduled digital design group meetings to share knowledge with other members of digital design group and managers
Please note this job description contains only a partial listing of duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
– demonstrated first-hand knowledge of architectural practices
– completion of architectural, engineering or related design degree program or graduate of four-year program
– reliable, responsive, responsible, and able to prioritise and manage own tasks and responsibilities and those of others
– excellent communication and interpersonal relationship skills
– well organised and detail oriented
– successful experience working in a team environment
– acute aesthetic sense and understanding of composition, light, and principles of architectural photography and visualisation is required
– exceptional rendering, lighting and material setup skills in Autodesk 3D Studio Max is required
– exceptional image composition and editing skills in Adobe Photoshop is required
– proficiency in 3D modelling in 3D Studio Max
– proficiency in 3D modelling in Rhino
– knowledge of scripting with MaxScript is highly desirable
– knowledge or proficiency in Building Information Modelling or parametric design software including Autodesk Revit and Grasshopper is desirable
– familiarity with other 3D Modelling programs and interoperability experience is a plus. Basic fluency with AutoCAD and Microsoft Windows based systems is required.
Please submit cover letter, resume and work samples at http://www.som.com/careers under the San Francisco – visualisation specialist requisition.