EXHIBITION DESIGNER (Chicago, US)
Art Institute of Chicago is seeking an exhibition designer to join its team in the USA.
Design space plans, interior architecture, casework and furniture for assigned exhibitions and galleries in coordination with all other necessary museum departments, such as the director’s office, curatorial departments, conservation, museum registration, security and physical plant.
– responsible for developing space planning and space designs for exhibition galleries in consultation with the museum director’s office and appropriate curators to achieve distinctive, aesthetic, safe, and informative presentations of art work
– prepares space configuration and build-out options, designs casework and architectural elements, selects materials and finishes, produces construction drawings, consults with conservators and security staff on appropriate display materials and furniture
– consults and coordinates with museum registration and physical plant on scheduling, and with carpenters, electricians, painters, audio visual, and information systems staff on implementation of construction and installation; consults with visitor services and security staff on circulation patterns and safety regulations to ensure a secure environment for art work
– prepares cost estimates for exhibition design for review and approval by the museum director’s office. Procures estimates, selects, and purchases specialty fabrication, printing, imaging, silk screening, and other design-related services
– prepares exhibition schedule listing all related tasks and dates for exhibition team including museum registration, public affairs, graphics, physical plant, security, curators, special events, membership, conservation, etc
– arranges reviews of exhibition plans with museum director’s office, design and construction, curators, registrar, physical plant, security, graphics and others involved in exhibition planning and art handling
– procures, supervises and coordinates activities of outside contractors related to required installation elements
– takes and distributes meeting minutes as required
– design and manage related miscellaneous design and construction projects as directed by director of design and construction
Bachelor’s degree in architecture, interior design, interior architecture or related field required. Minimum five to seven years experience in exhibition and/or interior design and graphics design desired and project management experience is required.
Must have total and complete knowledge of AutoCAD, with minimum of three to five years drafting experience and ability to use AutoCAD to produce bid quality drawings. Must possess strong communication and management skills. Ability to motivate and complete work through others.
Should have highly developed time management skills, excellent project management skills and good attention to details. Office computer skills and systems knowledge required and a demonstrable ability to multi-task expertly. Experience in lighting design preferred.
The Art Institute of Chicago is an equal opportunity, equal access employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce.
Apply online at: https://csweb.artic.edu/recruit/applyjob.html