URBAN SPECIALIST (Bruselas, BE)
The Cities Alliance Secretariat is provided by UNOPS, and based in Brussels, Belgium.
This position is located in the Cities Alliance Secretariat (CA Secretariat) office in Brussels, Belgium. The Urban Specialist will work with the Programme Unit team across all activities of the Unit according to individual interests and the specific demands identified by the Head of the Programme Unit. The priority focus of the Urban Specialist will be to provide support to Cities Alliance Country Programmes, which are regarded as one of the organisation’s flagship activities. The Urban Specialist reports to the Head of the Programme Unit. S/he will be a full member of the Cities Alliance Secretariat, and is fully integrated into all policies and procedures.
– Reporting to the Head of Programmes the Urban Specialist develops and/or improves internal systems for supporting Cities Alliance country programmes. Uses Results Based Management (RBM) / M&E techniques, methods and their applications. Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results.
– Strong analytical and problem solving skills and ability to handle a range of management and coordination issues (Creativity and Innovation)
– Demonstrated ability to develop and align assignments to broader goals of the organization (Change Orientation)
– Proven expertise in one or more aspect of urban development
– Strong drive to develop and lead assigned staff in new initiatives and align them to the performance framework of the organization (Initiative)
– Advanced degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in urban development, political or social science or other relevant discipline
– Sound conceptual knowledge and a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in urban development, especially in urban development cooperation
– Excellent verbal and written command of English and working knowledge of Spanish, French, Arabic or Portuguese other UN language.
Contract duration: one year, renewable subject to available funds and satisfactory performance
Application period: 21-Feb-2014 to 09-Mar-2014