FURNITURE DESIGNER (Doha, QA)
Woodworks is recruiting for a furniture designer to join its team in Doha, Qatar to produce designs for items of furniture and related products.
Education: a degree or diploma in Furniture or Industrial Design
– highly creative with strong practical ability and attention to detail
– knowledge of AutoCAD or SolidWorks
– ability to communicate your ideas
– understanding of manufacturing processes
– financial awareness
Duties and responsibilities:
– meet with clients and/ or production department to discuss initial concepts and design briefs for custom ordering
– produce concept sketches, 3D renderings and CAD drawings
– produce technical drawings
– liaise with suppliers during prototyping and/or manufacturing
– produce design amendments when necessary
– evaluate issues such as pricing, fixing costs, purchasing, safety, materials and manufacturing methods and techniques
– ensure you are up to date with current design trends through visits to exhibitions
– follow up on workshops, seminars and training on various types of manufacturing and furniture designs
– produce photographs, catalogues and design portfolios
liaise with the managing director on a weekly basis, updating on current projects
Woodworks is a newly formed enterprise that wishes to specialise in making high-end furniture and cabinetry work. We also wish it to become a reference point for quality of craftsmanship and good design in Qatar and neighbouring countries. The factory currently produces bespoke furniture and wooden products for various applications. Our production line is divided into both the traditional Arabesque designs and the contemporary furniture designs. Our products are diverse and range all the way from doors (indoor, outdoor, fire-rated), windows, chairs, tables, kitchen cabinets and decorations, dining furniture, bedroom furniture, ceilings, roofs, Arabic dividers to couches.
The upholstery is another division of the factory. We refurbish and reproduce our clients’ old furniture through infinite care and skill in preserving the same look, feel and spirit.
At Woodworks, technology does not replace craftsmanship. Our philosophy and main drive is built on preserving the dying art of hand-made wood carvings and designs. We envision Woodworks to develop further into an educational workshop for local and regional universities teaching arts and interior design majors.
Please apply to: Careers@woodworks.com.qa.
Application deadline: 4 March 2014